Focus Minerals Ltd (FML) is committed to reaching success in environmental performance and responsibility. To achieve this, we dedicate our efforts to the following:
- Managing environmental footprints and safeguarding the environment for present and future generations. Wherever possible we prevent, or else mitigate, minimise and remedy the disturbance of mining activities on the natural environment.
- Assess, evaluate, monitor and undertake periodic reporting on the efficiency and impacts of our operations. We will develop new procedures to reduce noise/vibration, air, waste and water pollution.
- Manage environmental risk and identify opportunity to improve environmental management at every stage of exploration, mine development, operation and closure, including evaluating the acquisition and withdrawal of assets.
- Educate employees and the community on environmental awareness and responsibility. We will ensure that all employees and contractors are informed about policy and made aware of their environmental responsibilities in relation to the company’s activities.
- Comply with all applicable environmental laws and regulations as a minimum standard.
- Proactive reporting and managing of environmental hazards and incidents.
- Rehabilitate sites or areas disturbed by company activities to comply with applicable environmental management plan and standards. Due to the area being extensively mined by old methods, FML continue to rehabilitate historic mining areas.
We take a strategic approach to driving improved environmental performance in key areas such as:
- Managing and protecting biodiversity: protecting the ecosystems on which we depend. We can achieve this by implementing a biodiversity strategy developed with the help of key external stakeholders such as Department of Mines and Petroleum.
- Sustainable water management: access to affordable water is critical to mining operations. Future access depends on managing water responsibly and in a sustainable manner. A lot of the water within the process plant is recycled.
- Integrated closure planning: FML treats operating site closure as a multi-disciplinary responsibility. Closure management plans are developed to ensure sustainable social, environmental and economic outcomes after site operations have ceased.